Retail & Construction Updates - Chickie & Pete's, GBoys, Casa Carolla, Burger King, Burns Honda and Mission BBQ and more

Three weeks ago, I posted a blog showing all the current construction for retail establishments currently under way in town.  Unfortunately, the ink wasn't even dry on that blog and it was already out of date.  (And yes, I realize that the expression 'ink wasn't even dry' is a silly expression in the digital age but I still like it.)  So here is what has changed in the past 3 weeks.  I (and others) may have posted some of this on Facebook already, but I wanted to gather it in one place.

Chickie & Pete's
No construction updates, but they did change the time and location for their job fair.

If anyone goes to the job fair and asks 'When do you expect to open?', please let me know the answer!  I have reached out to Chickie and Pete's for additional information, but I suspect dozens of people have as well, and I am not expecting a reply.

Casa Carolla
It would appear that the new owners (I say new, but its been almost a year and a half) of the property are the owners of the Colonial Diner in Woodbury.  No confirmation on what they plan to do with the property.  The old building has been completely torn down.


GBoys
The building has finally been torn down. The GBoys was a mainstay in Marlton for as long as I can remember, but it finally closed its doors in 2012.   I would tend to think that means something new is coming?  As I mentioned in the last blog, the property is owned by the same gentleman who owns the  Marlton Friendly's franchise as well as several others.  It doesn't appear he owns any franchises other than Friendly's.
GBoys in better times


Burns Honda
There was some speculation as to what they were building at the Honda dealership.  They are expanding to open a used car dealership on site.  This was approved at the planning board on July 19th, 2017.  The construction appears to be going on in the grassy area between Route 73 and Lake Center Drive on the map below.



Joann's/Club Metro/Borders Shopping Center
The entire shopping center where Club Metro used to be and where Joann's still operates was purchased by Raymour & Flanigan back in October 2017.   I documented the history and future of that shopping center in a previous blog post.

Soft Surroundings
Women's retailer Soft Surroundings will be opening soon at the Promenade.  The website for the Promenade states Spring 2018, though I saw a job listing stating March 2018.

Shake Shack
Shake Shack is now hiring for their Marlton store.  When I posted pictures at Christmas, there was still a dirt floor.  They are much further along now.




Burger King
Burger King has now closed. The town had commenced eminent domain proceedings against them a couple of months ago, but it seems that it would have taken much longer for those proceedings to complete.  More likely a settlement was reached between the franchise holder and the developer for Renaissance Square.

Mission BBQ
Now here is something to get excited about.  While news of this began trickling out last week, I was hoping to wait until I had something concrete before putting this down in a blog.   While I can't guarantee this 100%, it seems like this will be appearing before the Zoning Board in the near future.

Mission BBQ wants a new pad restaurant in the same parking on Route 73 that Bertucci's is located.  My guess is the pad site will be across the parking lot from Bertucci's, near where I have indicated with the red square below.
As this new site is on a major highway and a good distance from any residences (plus on a property already approved for restaurants), I don't see much of an issue getting this approved.  My only concern would be parking.  In the above photo, the lot looks huge with plenty of parking.  However, I would guess that Google took its photo on a weekend, which is why its empty.  Below is a photo that appears to be taken on a weekday.  My guess would be early in the morning, seeing how empty the Bertucci's lot is.  With a second restaurant, it may get crowded in that lot, but it seems like it should be big enough. 
 For me, I haven't met a Brisket Sandwich I didn't like, so I welcome the addition to town.  You can read about Mission BBQs story here or peruse their menu.  From Restaurant Business Online:
"Mission BBQ stands out from other restaurants speckled in Americana.  Every day at noon, team members stop to sing the national anthem and thank any service members in the store.  It also recruits vets, and partners with military charities."
They have locations locally in Deptford and Philadelphia, should reading this have given you a hankerin' for some ribs. 

I reached out Mission BBQ and heard back from the Director Of Opersations, Greater Philadelphia Area, and he confirmed they are looking to open in Marlton in the 4th Quarter of this year.  He did not confirm the location.




Like my Facebook Page to get the latest posts - A View From Evesham.  You can email me at MarltonNeil@yahoo.com.