With Sprouts Coming to Marlton, I Learn What Sprouts Is



Sprouts in Denver Colorado

Back in March, I posted that Sprouts Farmers Market is coming to Marlton Crossing.  It became apparent from the conversation that ensued that most people were looking forward to it coming, but few knew what Sprouts actually was.  The closest Sprouts to us currently is in Maryland.  It also became apparent that those who have lived elsewhere (mostly people from Colorado and California) were very excited about Sprouts - many stating it was something they missed now that they live in New Jersey.

I was among those who were looking forward to it, but I hadn't heard of it until I learned they were coming to Marlton.   Chance has it that I am currently on a business trip in Denver and I had a few hours to kill.  Go to a museum?  See some snow-packed peaks?  Nah, I took an Uber to Sprouts.

I will refrain from trying to compare prices - food prices at Sprouts in Denver are influenced more by the local economy than by Sprouts policies.

Having the words 'Farmers Market' in the name led me to believe that this store would be more like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, less like ShopRite or Acme.  That assumption was correct

Sprouts has a very open feel to it.  Unlike Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, there are no tall shelves that block vision or light.  You can see from one end of the store to the other, allowing for a more pleasant shopping experience.  I had never thought about that fact before, but upon entering Sprouts, it was the first thing I noticed - I also wonder whether it is something that I will notice next time I enter Whole Foods.  Obviously, the higher the shelves, the more product you can pack into a smaller space, but Sprouts has decided to go a different route.  It makes the store seem less crowded, though to be fair, I was at Sprouts at 7:30 AM on a Tuesday.  When I go to Whole Foods, its noon on a Sunday, so its obviously crowded.
Low shelf height allows for a more open feel
The bulk selection was very similar to Whole Foods.  It was more spread out and there seemed to me more variety of products.



There was also a vast selection of bulk coffee.  Whole Foods used to have a larger selection than they currently do - currently they are down to about 10.  Sprouts had dozens!



I would have taken more pictures in the bulk section,  but I was unable to, for reasons to be explained in a bit.

Many Sprouts have a fresh fish counter.  Unfortunately this one did not.  (I would have liked to compare it to the fish counter at Whole Foods - the fish counter at Whole Foods in Marlton is great, with a very knowledgable staff.  And since their purchase by Amazon, the prices of fish have come way down at Whole Foods.  The two products I purchase regularly (salmon and peeled and deveined shrimp) are now regularly cheaper at Whole Foods than ShopRite.)

The packaged goods selection was very similar to Whole Foods, including many of the same crunchy brands you'd expect to find at a Whole Foods, along with many products under the Sprouts product line.

The fruit and vegetable selection was very extensive, and while I said I would refrain from comparing prices, they did seem rather low.  There were also quite a few fruits and vegetables that I didn't recognize.

There is a deli for sliced meat as well as sandwiches, and a fresh salad bar, though due to it being 7:30am, neither were up and running.


A few more photos of random things




At one point in my trip, I was taking photos of bulk chocolate covered peanut butter cups (a personal favorite if anyone is looking for a birthday present for me) when a woman asked if I needed help with anything.  She hadn't sought me out, but happened to be walking by when I was taking photos.  She nicely told me that unless I asked the manager, they didn't allow photos.  We both laughed about it, and she was very pleasant and it did not ruin my experience in any way, but know that by reading this blog, you are viewing illicit material that I risked my life to obtain.  :)

When I sounded incredulous, she actually brought me to the entrance and showed me the sign.

I stopped taking pictures inside the store at that point.  Oh well.

I did happen to notice that Sprouts partners with Amazon Now to deliver groceries to your door within an hour.  Seeing as we have an Amazon-owned Whole Foods in town, I doubt that partnership will occur in Marlton, but hopefully something like that will be coming.

As for when our Sprouts opens, I have no information.  The storefront (where Sears Appliance was located) looks exactly the same as it has since Sears left.  There has been work out back creating a loading dock however.  The doors shown below are new.




Like my Facebook Page to get the latest posts - A View From Evesham.  You can email me at MarltonNeil@yahoo.com.