Evesham Retail 2019 Year In Review

There have been quite a few changes in the Marlton retail scene, with many more expected in 2020.  While I began 2019 reporting these changes in blog form on a roughly bi-weekly basis, summarizing all the changes, I've more recently been taking to reporting news directly on my Facebook page, with a month summary in blog form.  That seems to be working better for me, and the news gets out there faster that way.

A lot of businesses were opened in Marlton over the past year, along with quite a few others that closed.  I have tried to concentrate only on retail operations, though there are a few exceptions in the list below.   According to this list, 30 opened, 22 closed.  Did I miss any?

The top 3 stories in 2019 (based on the questions I've received and/or how many people reacted to the news):



1) Olga's Diner - This should not have been the number one story.  A restaurant and/or diner opening in town should not have received as much attention as it did.  But because of the choice of names for this restaurant, this received way more interest than one might expect, based on what I have seen on Facebook and was I was asked about over the last year.  I first reported about this back in April 2018, when a proposal went in front of the Evesham Township Planning Board to replace the former Casa Carollo.  While it took a little longer to complete than expected, reviews have generally been positive.  Olga's opened October 22nd.




2) Sprouts - I had first reported on Sprouts coming to Marlton way back in March of 2018, long before it was in any newspaper.  While Olga's made the number one spot on this list, I think that the arrival of Sprouts has a bigger affect on Evesham.  Aside from providing more jobs in town, Sprouts is one of only a handful of supermarkets in town, while Olga's is one of dozens of restaurants.  Sprouts opened June 5.



3) Mission BBQ - The arrival of Mission BBQ was first learned of way back in January of 2018.  Based on what I have seen, there has been universal acclaim for their food and for their business practices, giving back to the community, especially the local fire, police and military.  Personally, I would have ranked this the top story, because unlike the first two, they were more than willing to share information and answer questions from a local blogger prior to opening.  Here are some photos during construction, showing its progress over time.  I suppose I need to find a picture from opening day to add to the end of it.

Do you think these were indeed the top retail stories?

And the rest....

New Businesses in 2019
73 Seafood
Adam Strong
Bella Caffe (4/4)
Casa Nostra
Clean Space Zen
Concord Pet Food & Supplies
Dunkin (Renaissance Square - 8/1)
Expedia Cruise Ship Centers (10/12)
Frozen Boba (6/22)
Gud2Go
Karen's Diva Dog Pet Spa
Lavender Mani Pedi
Mission BBQ (8/19)
Nailed It DIY Studio
Nene's (5/10)
Olga's (10/22)
Pink Petal Mani Pedi (12/19)
Pizza Hut
Reproductive Medicine Associates
Revive Yoga
Spirit Halloween
Sprouts (6/5)
Staged Kids Photography
Starbucks (5/2)
State Farm (Crispin Square)
US Marines Career Center
Verizon (6/29)
Vionic (6/8)
Wair Hair Salon
Yoga Revive

Closed Businesses in 2019
American Eagle (12/22)
Andale (7/20)
Armed Forces Career Center
Cash 4 Gold
Charming Charlie
Clarks (12/22)
Cropwell Cleaners (8/31)
Dunkin Donuts (Marlton Greene 12/28)
Dragonflies and Ladybugs
Fleet Feet
Gymboree
Korner Bistro
Kristy's Boutique
Lucky 7 Deli
Marino's Kitchen  (2/8)
Sculpt 360
South Beach Tanning
Spirit Halloween
Valero Gas & Food (4/12)
With Love Penina
Woodloft Furniture

Changed Stores in 2019
Evesham Mortgage moved
Collision Max purchased by Caliber Collision
Madras Indian Cuisine (new ownership - formerly Amma's Kitchen)
70 Nails and Spa (new management)

Coming Soon - In various stages of approval or development
Unknown Barber
Bhan Thai
Bistro Di Marino
Bleu Bear Market
Chase Bank
Children of America
Deka Lash
Diamonds By Design
First Watch
Hair Cuttery (Renaissance Square)
Heart & Paw
Jeweler
La Scala
La Vez
Monroe & Kent Home
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union
PDQ
Restore Hyperwellness (expected January 2020)
Royal Farms
Sport Clips
State Farm (Barclay Chase)
The Nail Garden


I made a few predictions for 2019, and I missed the mark for most of them.  Here were my predictions for 2019:

  1. The following stores will remain unoccupied: Carrabas, Bottom Dollar, Sears Appliance, Radio Shack.  I went 2-2 there.  Carrabas and Bottom Dollar are both empty.  Radio Shack is Gud2Go and Sears Appliance did get a new tenant, even if PFFCU won't open until 2020.
  2. The following stores will get new tenants: GBoys, Pet Supplies Plus.  0-2 there.
  3. I predicted PJ Whelihan's would announce something in 2019 regarding the liquor license they still own in Marlton.  They did not.  Wrong again.
  4. I predicted there would be an announcement about the land for sale in front of the Indian Cultural Center, and there was not.  (To be fair, both 3 and 4 were negatively affected by Royal Farms pulling out of the Sunbird Plaza development).
  5. I predicted the new development with Pizza Hut and Starbucks would be fully occupied.  It still has one vacancy.  
So ultimately, I went 2-7  2 right, 7 wrong.  Apparently I am way better at reporting the news than predicting it.  And since I'm a glutton for punishment, here's my predictions for 2020.
  1. The following stores will remain unoccupied: Bottom Dollar, Carrabas
  2. The following stores will get new tenants: Pet Supplies Plus, Woodloft Furniture, the empty storefront next to Skechers shoes
  3. The old yellow Weichert building will be demolished.
  4. Sunbird Plaza will remain empty
Do you have any predictions?


Thank you all for reading this blog over the past year.  I can always use assistance, so if you see something, or know something, please feel free to pass it along to me by sending a Facebook message or emailing me at MarltonNeil@yahoo.com.  If you send something, let me know if you want to remain anonymous or if you want photo credit.  Thank you to everyone who has passed along information or photos throughout the year.

Here was my 2018 Year In Review.


Like my Facebook Page to get the latest posts - A View From Evesham.  You can email me at MarltonNeil@yahoo.com.